Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What is bullying? Have you been bullied? What happened?

Bullying is making other people feel bad or hurting them emotionally or physically. Bullying is when someone or a group of people going up against one person and putting them down on their self-esteem. The main thing that makes a person a bully is making other people's self-esteem go down. For example, when you call other people names that they don't like, it's a verbal abuse, and considered as verbal bullying. If the person who you're calling doesn't like the name they are called, then you should stop. It's also another form of harassment, which is kind of another way of bullying. Bullying can also be when you hurt someone, both emotionally and or physically. When you hurt someone emotionally, it's when you play around with their feelings and allow them to get hurt. For example, you make a comment about how they look or how they dress. Telling someone that they are ugly or really short like a dwarf is offensive to the person, so it's considered bullying. Physically bullying someone is when you hurt one another on purpose. For example, you or a group of people gain up on one person and start beating him or her up. You're purposely hurting that person, so it's considered physical bullying. One thing that all of those have in common is that it lowers the person's self-esteem. As you've noticed, the people who are bullied have lower self-esteem than the people who are the bullies. It's because they've been put down, and made them feel like they don't fit in, or they shouldn't do what they do, in other words, be themselves.
Yes, I have been bullied, both emotionally, physically, and verbally. I've been bullied ever since I was in kindergarten up til around the end of seventh grade. Even till now I'm bullied, but personally, I consider it as teasing and not really bullying. Ever since I was little, I'm always called short, and I use to take that as an insult. I've been called nasty names that are inappropriate for school, and of course names that related to waste and junk. I would also get bossed around, act as if I'm a slave for other people. I was always controlled by people because they would threaten me if I didn't do what they asked. One time that I remember most vividly would be when I was in kindergarten. My "friend" told me to get something for her in the bathroom at the very end of the room. I walked in and suddenly she closed the door, lights, and locked me inside the bathroom. Ever since then, I was afraid of the dark. Another unforgettable memory was in fifth grade. My classmates accused me calling another one of my classmates a bad word. No one would believe that I did not do such thing, at the end of the year at our water balloon party, people would throw water at me. Not just water balloons, but the water inside water bottles as well. One of the most recent one would be in sixth grade. My so called friends started talking bad behind my back to my best friend at the time. For some reason, she believed her and she started spreading the rumor even further. For a couple of weeks, all my friends isolated them from myself. During class time I would be all alone, and sometimes I would have some people who were willing to work with me. Ever since the end of seventh grade I've been teased, but not bullied.

No comments:

Post a Comment