Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chinese Mothers - Quickwrite

After reading the article I felt that maybe Amy Chua is right. I always knew that Chinese parents had a "different" teaching method, but it was just a way to help their kids. Even though in the future it really does end up helping the kid, it's a cruel way to teach. In the article whenever Amy talks about how Chinese parents deal with their kids, I think about my mom. It's really stupid and mean of the parents to do that to their kids, even though it's for our own good, it's a way of disrespecting the kids too! From this article I learned that it's true that Chinese parents are able to get away with things western parents can't do. Chinese parents are able to call their child names, but western parents aren't able to do that.  Whenever my parents call me a name, I feel really angry but not bad. It's true that Chinese parents are able to get away with it, but it doesn't mean it's OK. Throughout this article it's telling the reader about how all the cruel things Chinese parents do to their kids is for their own good. That may be true, but the only people that knows that for sure, is the parents. By using this teaching method, your kid can grow up to hate you. Thinking more and more about this article makes me more mad, because I hate how my mom treats me. I believe that making me feel "bad" about my bad grades will cause me to want to achieve better, but I hate how she does it. I hate it when she calls me a name because I didn't do something, even when it's simple, I get called names like "garbage, idiot, retard, stupid," etc. Unlike the article saying how kids feel bad about it, I feel extremely angry. This article is right for the most part, but it's still unacceptable to me how this teaching method is always so mean to the kids, and I really don't believe that it will change soon.

1 comment: